[Bloat] Windows file sharing broken with RC6 ?

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 08:04:25 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 00:13 -0700, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> It may not be as dire as I originally thought.
>
> On the two wired computers running Windows 7, in Windows Explorer I
> can see all the nodes on the system - themselves, OPENWRT (and its tmp
> directory) and the Windows 7 computer on the wireless network.
> However, I can't connect from the wired subnet to the wireless subnet
> by name:
>
>   Windows can not access \\wirelesscomputer
>
> But Windows can get to it via its IP address:
>
>   \\172.30.42.69
>
> On the wireless computer, the only node I see is itself - I don't even
> see OPENWRT, and certainly don't see the computers on the wired
> subnet.

I'm going to guess that for some reason, the WINS server is not being
advertised by DHCP.  It may not be ideal, but you could try maqnually
configuring the WINS server on each system, pointing it at the router.
At least the firewall issue seems to be sorted for the moment.
--
Robert Bradley <robert.bradley1 at gmail.com>