[Bloat] a flood of Bufferbloat-related papers

David Täht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 06:27:17 EDT 2011

I sat down on my vacation last week thinking I would write up a review
of progress since the bufferbloat effort began back in January, 2011. In
particular, I was interested in discovering to what extent we'd made the
cross-over not just into other OSes besides Linux (e.g - BSD, windows)
but into academia.

I figured I'd just write up a *short* wiki page on the interesting
bufferbloat related papers referenced via google and google scholar.

I was astounded (and delighted) to discover that google scholar had 30+
references, and digging into the later results (google page 2 and
beyond) was fascinating.

http://scholar.google.fr/scholar?start=10&q=bufferbloat&hl=fr&as_sdt=0,5&as_vis=1

I confess that I have not had time to read most of these yet! I've got
"FIFO Service with Differentiated Queueing" loaded on my kindle as I
write, as well as "on the impact of congestion control for concurrent
multipath transfer".

In the future I would certainly appreciate the authors of bufferbloat
related/referencing papers to mention them on this mailing list *as*
they are published!

Also a heads-up on work in progress would be helpful, both to avoid
unnecessary duplication of work and to find potential collaborators.

Rather than writing up that list of interesting papers, which google
scholar is doing so well for us already, I'm going to instead start
creating a list of papers and research I'd like to see. I'd appreciate
suggestions...

On my list already would be "an analysis of the effects of broken sack
processing on linux 2.4.24-3.1", of which I *think* I've captured
multiple examples of in the raw traces I've been collecting for
months... (so if anyone is interested in the raw data, I can provide)

I also note that TCP-fit, which was discussed on this mailing list a few
months ago, has a new paper due out this month (if it isn't out already)
in Infocom, Shanghai, October, 2011. I would love to have more
information on this algorithm because I simply cannot believe the
results, as much as I would like to believe them.
http://media.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/~multimedia/tcp-fit/