[Bloat] Dealing with P2P traffic in modern networks - measurement, identification, and control

David Täht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 08:03:57 EDT 2011

On 09/28/2011 11:03 AM, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 19:40, Jesper Dangaard Brouer <hawk at comx.dk> wrote:
>
>> If anybody else on the list have links/articles relating to behavioral
>> traffic classification, I'm interested! :-)
> My eTorrent uTP branch almost but not quite implement uTP in Erlang.
> It uses a LEDBAT classifier in its base, and the idea is definitely
> alluring. I have not had time testing it yet though, so I don't know
> anything about how it fares or don't. The "almost but not quite" part
> is that I skipped over some things in uTP to make other parts work
> first. I do have the LEDBAT scheduler but miss important things like
> Nagles algorithm, etc. The thesis Dave linked is quite interesting,
> but I have not yet even skimmed it.

I finished reading the paper today, finally, on the train from mantes la
jolie into Paris....

Aside from admiration for the scope and breadth of the analysis
(particuarly chapter 8 forward - I'm rather dubious about most
classification teniques)...

My principal question on all that work... All the models/sims were over
ethernet and assumed fairly high bandwidth connectivity.

I would really like to take a recent model showing 'fairness' of a
network protocol such as LEDBAT, and apply it to a set of wireless
connections that exhibiting the kinds of behaviors we've been seeing
(exorbitant buffering and retries)  The results should be... interesting.

Perhaps the models used here - or the real implementation(s) - can be
fed buffer sizes in excess of 1064, and delays in excess of 2 seconds
... over fairly long paths.