[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] bufferbloat and the web service providers

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 11:36:01 EST 2012

The results of the rrul benchmark in conjunction with the chrome web
page benchmark tests in combination with the debloat and simple_qos.sh
script in combination with linux 3.6.9 are so frigging spectacular at
4Mbit uplinks and above, that I'm reluctant to publish them.

I've tested dozens of web sites ranging from google to xfinity at this
point with improvements in web page network load time ranging from 4
to 10x under otherwise saturating workloads. Another way to look at it
is that most web page loads I've tried degrade by less than 20% while
under the extreme stress of the rrul benchmark. (vs 10x worse or not
completing at all under pfifo_fast or short queues)

Others have had great difficulty in reproducing these results, so I'm
gradually trying to reduce the sources of experimental error and
improve the scripts and documentation and so on... Recently I got bit,
bad, by the recent default of the GRO offload to a couple network
drivers.... my current simple_qos script only uses ecn on ingress...

So I'm setting up 3 labs to nail all that down and also work on
artificially induced longer RTTs.... which is going to take some time.
I hope to make available a few netperf servers for public use fairly
soon (or line up some volunteers to do so?)

In the meantime I'd urge folk to track the development of the rrul and
related benchmarks, install their own netperf (netserver) servers, and
follow along...

https://github.com/tohojo/netperf-wrapper

Upload speeds below 4Mbit remain a bit problematic and wifi a nightmare.

The 3.6.9-5 release of cerowrt can run enough netperf servers to keep
100Mbit links busy but only just barely, and in some tests, we overrun
the switch's buffers, not fq_codel, so htb is the way to go, to
another box, through the router....