[Bloat] TCP TFO client behaviour

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:00:15 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote:
> If there are bugs/issues in Linux's TFO (and IIRC, Linux is the only stack
> with TFO at present) it would probably be best to have that discussion in
> netdev.  At the very least it will have to "finish" in netdev anyway.
>
> As for TFO and tools, theoretically, netperf top-of-trunk now has both
> client and server side support, though I've not been able to get it
> particularly tested as yet.  I am however, quite happy to discuss bugs in
> netperf's use of TFO here rather than netperf-talk :)
>
> happy benchmarking,
>
> rick jones

Both the TFO enabled httping and netperf are now checked into the
ceropackages-3.3 repo, and will be built on the next build of cerowrt
3.6.X (obviously not fully functional until 3.7)

I note that the netperf appears to require that TCP_FASTOPEN be
defined by the underlying C library. Mine (glibc and uclibc) haven't
caught up yet, from a cursory grep... I will add a patch to define it
if not available unless rick beats me to it...

(httping just defines it as 23)

Are there any other tools/apps available to test TCP_FASTOPEN? I note
that I currently fire off netserver via xinetd which I suppose would
need to be modified.