[Bloat] Testing Queue models

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 09:22:55 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Bruce Atherton <bruce at callenish.com> wrote:

> On 2/1/2012 12:46 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>>
>> I don't have a whole lot of hope for classification. In fact, I'm kind of
>> upset that the move away from flash means we are seeing more video streams
>> on port 80, rather than on the macromedia port...
>

> It may be worse than that in the future. Now that Websockets is RFC6455 the
> nature of traffic on port 80 may change a lot. Roy Fielding was so concerned
> about it that he asked that a security note be added to the draft spec.

What we conventionally think about as the need for firewalling and
threat models is increasingly irrelevant, particularly with the advent
of new - and standardized, even! - tunneling models like this, as well
as devices that live on 3g and wireless at the same time, etc.

> No idea what that will mean for your efforts here.

Running the entire internet through port 80 and 443, and further,
tunneling new applications through that, rather than using specialized
and well defined protocols seems like the wrong thing.

I have a rant on this topic that amusingly dates to around the time
I'd got involved in the bufferbloat effort...

<rant>
http://nex-6.taht.net/posts/Beating_the_speed_of_light_on_the_web/
</rant>

It's something of a consequence of nat, and may well be a wedge to try
and make ipv6 'more right'...

On my very backlogged 'round-to-it' list has been writing an xtables
module for multi-protocol matching, as the current methods for
matching protocols (at least in linux) only support a single match,
and as you add protocols becomes tedious, error prone, and slow.

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -j ALLOW
iptables -I INPUT -p udp -j ALLOW
iptables -I INPUT -p 41 -j ALLOW
etc.

Better would be something that did a lookup against a 256bit-map

ip6tables -I INPUT -m protocols --protocols
icmp,tcp,udp,igmp,rdp,dccp,rsvp,gre,esp,ah,ospf,ipip,pim,l2p,isis,sctp,udplite,manet,hip,shim6,wesp
-J ALLOW

In the hope that this would improve end-to-end connectivity,
performance, and availability of new stuff in the general case as ipv6
is rolled out.

Regrettably I haven't got around to writing that bit, nor something
similar for diffserv....

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net