[Bloat] Testing Queue models

Bruce Atherton bruce at callenish.com
Fri Feb 17 16:55:24 EST 2012

Well, port 80/443 is only the default for Websockets. People running
standalone WS servers are encouraged to use unique ports.

There are two main reasons to have those defaults though:

1) Webapps that use both HTTP and Websockets, which is after all the
most common usecase, benefit from having a single server that routes the
connection reasonably far down in the stack so that maximum reuse of
code can occur.

2) System administrators in many companies are incredibly resistant to
opening up new ports. They have to open port 80 and sometimes 443. This
makes ports 80 and 443 "magic" ports in these environments, the kind
that are the only ones that third party webapp developers can rely on.
Sad but that is the way of the world. I say this as a third party webapp
developer.