[Bloat] Linux-able modems

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri May 18 17:36:31 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 May, 2012, at 4:55 pm, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
>>> So I repeat my question: where can I reliably go and buy a DSL modem
>>> that I can put Linux on?  It probably helps to mention that I'm in
>>> Finland, so a European (or at least British) reseller is preferable.
>>
>> If the Geos or Solos are too expensive, I'd be looking for other ADSL
>> devices supported by OpenWrt. Probably Lantiq-based. The Netgear
>> DGN3500B perhaps (see recent traffic on openwrt-devel).
>
> The 3700 is back-ordered by weeks, and the 3800 doesn't have a modem, and the 3500 isn't even in the local catalogues.  Netgear doesn't seem to be well regarded over here, even by the hacker types - and you *know* we have hacker types aplenty.
>
> I double-checked all my hardware again, and while I can technically get OpenWRT on my D-Link modem, it can't actually drive the *modem* part because Broadcom is mean and stingy.
>
> After biting the bullet and going through the local retailers' catalogues with a fine-toothed comb, I eventually found this - a fine specimen as far as hardware specs goes:
>
> http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/WBMR-HP-G300H-EU
>
> It happens to be Lantiq based, and so OpenWRT shows full support for it:
>
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wbmr-hp-g300h
>
> Jimm's is transitioning to a purely mail order system and is based in a different city, but it turned out that my local megahypersuperretailer had just got a batch in stock, so I got one from there.
>
> Well, this should be fun.

As noted elsewhere, fq_codel is now the default qos system in openwrt
as of build 31761

http://buildbot.openwrt.org:8010/one_line_per_build

37 arches, 150 platforms, no waiting.

There are still a few patches left to land, and it doesn't turn it on
on the wireless or ethernet by default, although it should definitely
do so, in the case of the latter, and well, it helps a bit on
wireless, too, although major surgery on the stack remains to get it
right.

And codel + QFQ remains interesting.

I look forward to hearing about your results.

>  - Jonathan Morton

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net