[Bloat] Linux-able modems

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri May 18 18:34:03 EDT 2012

And felix tells me that the fq_codel fix for better backlog handling
is in openwrt 31813.

This should improve performance in the case of various forms of flooding,
and probably, bittorrent.

I've heard a rumor that codel (I don't know about fq_codel, don't have
a ns3 simulation
yet) is slightly more controlling of TCP reno, than TCP cubic. This is
not a disadvantage,
in my mind! as the only thing these days that uses a reno-like system is uTP.

Would love some data. I'd intended to setup bittorrent seeder of
things like the gutenberg
library to take a look at these characteristics, but I'll do that next
week, unless someone
beats me to it.

The openwrt buildbot system is running a little slow these days, while
I've donated
a machine to the effort, and am hoping to add a second, more would be
nice to have.

Me, I'm taking the first long weekend off I've had in a year, and
going to the Maker
Faire, in San Mateo. Should be some pretty nice toys to see, there.

But hopefully, builds should be available on Sunday for all platforms.
Still a few
patches left to come...

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If the Geos or Solos are too expensive, I'd be looking for other ADSL
>>> devices supported by OpenWrt. Probably Lantiq-based. The Netgear
>>> DGN3500B perhaps (see recent traffic on openwrt-devel).
>>
>> The 3700 is back-ordered by weeks, and the 3800 doesn't have a modem, and the 3500 isn't even in the local catalogues.  Netgear doesn't seem to be well regarded over here, even by the hacker types - and you *know* we have hacker types aplenty.
>>
>> I double-checked all my hardware again, and while I can technically get OpenWRT on my D-Link modem, it can't actually drive the *modem* part because Broadcom is mean and stingy.
>>
>> After biting the bullet and going through the local retailers' catalogues with a fine-toothed comb, I eventually found this - a fine specimen as far as hardware specs goes:
>>
>> http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/WBMR-HP-G300H-EU
>>
>> It happens to be Lantiq based, and so OpenWRT shows full support for it:
>>
>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wbmr-hp-g300h
>>
>> Jimm's is transitioning to a purely mail order system and is based in a different city, but it turned out that my local megahypersuperretailer had just got a batch in stock, so I got one from there.
>>
>> Well, this should be fun.
>
> As noted elsewhere, fq_codel is now the default qos system in openwrt
> as of build 31761
>
> http://buildbot.openwrt.org:8010/one_line_per_build
>
> 37 arches, 150 platforms, no waiting.
>
> There are still a few patches left to land, and it doesn't turn it on
> on the wireless or ethernet by default, although it should definitely
> do so, in the case of the latter, and well, it helps a bit on
> wireless, too, although major surgery on the stack remains to get it
> right.
>
> And codel + QFQ remains interesting.
>
> I look forward to hearing about your results.
>
>>  - Jonathan Morton
>>

> --
> Dave Täht
> SKYPE: davetaht