[Bloat] ADSL/ATM linklayer tc shaping regression fix commits for stable

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 13:10:37 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<brouer at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:16:50 -0700
> Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 01:26:29PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> [...]
>
> > If there are issues with 3.10, that's a different story.
> >
> > > Refactor improvements (v3.11-rc1):
> > >  commit 130d3d68b52 (net_sched: psched_ratecfg_precompute()
> improvements)
>
> Needed because it fixes the accuracy of the rate calc.
>
> > > The linklayer ATM/ADSL fix, reached 3.11-rc6:
> > >  commit 8a8e3d84b17 (net_sched: restore "linklayer atm" handling)
>
> Needed because we broke userspace interface.
>
> > David sends me the networking patches for the stable tree, and if he
> > thinks these are applicable, then I'll take them.
>
> DaveM, please?  What do you want me to do, submit this req/patches somehow?
>
> (Can see that is not currently on your stable queue via:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/bundle/davem/stable/?state=*)

+1 Dealing with the busted DSL stuff since 3.8 has been no fun and it would
be nice if these last fixes made it into 3.10.X at least so router/fw
distros can pick them up more easily. The difference in dsl behavior since
the bustage in 3.8 to the saner now is remarkable.

Probably not meeting the criteria for 3.10-stable inclusion (as they aren't
exactly bugfixes) are the tiny improvements to the flow dissector made in
3.11 for better ipip, ipv6 encapsulation, and 802.1ad support, but I
thought I'd mention them so other fq_codel folk pick them up that need them.

Not ready for any tree and increasingly doubtful for 3.12 are some
improvements under test to codel and cisco's sch_pie, if anyone wants to
play with them, let me know off list.

> --
> Best regards,
>   Jesper Dangaard Brouer
>   MSc.CS, Sr. Network Kernel Developer at Red Hat
>   Author of http://www.iptv-analyzer.org
>   LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brouer

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html