[Bloat] curious.....

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Dec 8 14:21:10 EST 2013

Hi Jonathan,

On Dec 8, 2013, at 20:01 , Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Data point: Annex M ADSL2 can be approximated as 10M down, 2M up in practice. Throw BitTorrent at that, and round-robin delay absolutely is relevant. ADSL1 connections will be even more so. Not everyone lives in a city in Scandinavia.

	Sure, currently at adsl2+ 16M down 2.8M up, I feel the need for a prio system to keep the telephone separated from the rest.

> So a simple tiered scheme which can distinguish VoIP from BitTorrent and both from general traffic, and applies fq_codel to each tier, is a good idea.

	So have a look at /usr/lib/aqm/simple.qos, I think Dave has that already prepared for you, all you need to do is make sure that VoIP and BitTorrent packets are properly DiffServ labeled. Now for VoIP that should work well, but for BitTorrent it would be nice if the router could preemptively label those packets. (I guess most torrent clients allow to control the number of flows and the consumed bandwidth, so properly configured torrents would not need any special care, but who can guarantee the "properly configured" part.) But I digress…

Best
	Sebastian