[Bloat] Advice for dual wifi home network

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:47:23 EST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Sandy McArthur <sandymac at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to setup a home network with two APs connected by ethernet.  I
> think I understand the default network settings for use as a single cerowrt
> network but I'm struggling how to wrap my brain around how a second router
> should be configured so that the second access point isn't just another
> level of NAT deeper inside the first router.

Second cerowrt router:

It is essential to have a totally unique set of IPs per router.

1) Renumber to a different set of IPs - the two sed command documented here

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Changing_your_cerowrt_ip_addresses

We don't have bind anymore, you can edit out that part

2) In /etc/config/firewall

Delete all but the first set of firewall rules, and the default INPUT
OUTPUT and FORWARD all be ACCEPT. This disables nat on the router in
particular.

4) Change /etc/quagga/babeld.conf to also use ge00 (currently commented out)

Plug the second cerowrt WAN port into the LAN port on the first router

(I note that if you do all this, and you don't change the SSIDs or
channels, they will also mesh together over wifi, and those are "guest" not
native,
so require a little more work to use than just ethernet, and are slower, so
use ethernet. :) )

Reboot.

On the primary router:

1) Edit /etc/quagga/babeld.conf to export it's default route (it's
commented out)

/etc/init.d/quagga restart

The

ip route show

command will then show routes to the other router.

If you have a 3rd AP, we  have issues with the avahi daemon that are
troublesome, but if you only have two, you can enable avahi on the ge00
port on the second router in /etc/avahi

Let us know what happens...

one of these days we gotta wrap a gui around that sed script....

> Internet ---- cerowrt A ---- cerowrt B
>
> Configuring the B router is what is confusing me.
> --
> Sandy McArthur

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html