[Bloat] other people's VLAN congestion

Ing-Jyh Tsang ing-jyh.tsang at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Mar 22 03:11:02 EDT 2013

On 21/03/2013 17:53, Michael Richardson wrote:
> You'd think that, and the operator I know of is happy to sell an SLA
> for more money. But, the "best effort" service had the property that
> packets were never dropped, but were regularly late, even though my
> edge CPE equipment was prioriziting the way I wanted.

Rigth, in case of BE, not much is done, but mechanism are there. What
are the incentives for the operators (you get what you pay for...)?
However, as higher and higher access BW is offered/sold, this becomes
more visible and operators I know does something about it, all the way
to the CPE. I think the main question is can we improve beyond /RFC
2697/ <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2697.txt> or /RFC 2698/
<https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2698.txt>? Specially with adaptive
systems. On the other hand, many hesitated on the "adaptive", more
"intelligence" systems siding/claiming control and stability... Due to
lack of knowledge, mind frame, or ...