[Bloat] T-Mobile LTE buffer bloat

Dirk Kutscher Dirk.Kutscher at neclab.eu
Thu Oct 31 04:43:20 EDT 2013

Also, it would be important to understand what radio access technology the LTE-WiFi-GW was really using at the time of the measurement. In hybrid GSM/UMTS/LTE networks (like T-Mobile's), mobile phones frequently fall back to GSM (GPRS), so you cannot blame LTE in this case.

There are many myths around bufferbloat in mobile networks. You really need to understand the specifics of the network, its utilization at a given time -- and the deficiencies of the gear you are using.

Having said that, in LTE there are apparently significant differences in latency (variation) depending on the operator and equipment vendor. For example, I have seen LTE measurements from hotspot areas in Tokyo that still looked much better (max 60 ms uplink delay) than what I hear sometimes from friends in the US.

It's about time for structured measurement campaign that helps us to analyze this better.

Best regards,
Dirk