[Bloat] SFQRED or SFQARED?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 14:31:06 EDT 2013

And while I look over this very old, first presentation at stanford that
tried to describe codel and fq_codel, I see multiple places that we have
since improved.

1) I have fallen back to saying that instead of TCP-friendly, codel is
"RTT-friendly". There's not a good definition of this latter phrase. Matt
Mathis suggests I use "window friendly" instead, but I try to think of
"RTT-friendly" as "waiting long enough for a congestion signal to reach the
other side" and entirely outside of a tcp context... could use a harder
definition....

2) My waving hands talking about 1/(sqrt(count) being the inverse of tcp's
increases has since been dropped. I still wish we had a better graphic
explaining what really goes on than I have in that preso, it requires a lot
of talking still to explain it....

3) we have sfq and drr based versions of "fq_codel" in ns2. I've long
encouraged QFQ's author to try the same thing (and qfq + codel can be
easily played with using the debloat script, but you rapidly run out of
memory on teeny routers). There is hfsc + codel in freebsd now (as well as
their fairq variant that I don't know anything about.) I have a couple
variants of codel and fq_codel in patch form and in cerowrt... as well as a
pie still in progress...

Shapers are using (htb or hfsc) + fq_codel... in shapers where people were
using sfq and/or red before. I frankly do not understand hfsc well enough
to say if this is a good idea.

4) And the ever prolific edumazet's pure (non-stochastic) fq just appeared
in net-next with some very interesting and useful properties as to
informing the queue about the host tcp behaviors...

http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=137781660312650&w=2

(but no codel)

Lots of fun stuff going on!