[Bloat] [aqm] TSO sizing fixes and the new paced "fq" scheduler in Linux 3.12

James Roberts James.Roberts at inria.fr
Tue Sep 24 08:25:49 EDT 2013

No one responded to Luca's Sept 1 comment (on the bloat list) that the new code seems to do tail drop rather than longest queue drop.

If this is so, bandwidth sharing will not be fair since FQ alone is not enough. This was shown in the previously cited Bell Labs paper : http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/stiliadi/papers/jsac99.pdf. The following table is copied from the paper.

These results are a kind of benchmark showing that fairness needs both FQ and LQD. The paper also shows that a more easily implemented, approximate LQD works OK and avoids the need to sort flow queues in size order.

Jim Roberts

They showed the