[Bloat] [iccrg] [aqm] AQM deployment status?

Scheffenegger, Richard rs at netapp.com
Thu Sep 26 05:39:45 EDT 2013

HI Mikael,

[chair-hat off]

> I'd venture to claim that putting RED on a device with a few milliseconds
> worth of buffer depth is pretty much useless (for instance the Cisco 6704
> or 6724 linecards). So most datacenter equipment doesn't have this, or if
> they do, it's not that usable even if they had (who cares about drop
> probability when taildrop is being done at 4-5 ms buffer depth?).

I'd state that people operating datacenters with request-response type data exchange via TCP do care a lot about the microscopic drop distribution. Typically, a tail-drop queue has the unfortunate property of losing the more critical packets of such an exchange, leading to excessive "transaction" (higher level protocol) delays due to lengthy TCP loss recovery.

Agreed, that is not the regular "internet" use case, but the same gear is being deployed there...

Richard Scheffenegger