[Bloat] [aqm] [iccrg] AQM deployment status?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Sep 25 15:24:56 EDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, Akhtar, Shahid (Shahid) wrote:

> Please see below examples of support for RED/WRED from switches (from ALU and Cisco websites, search for RED or WRED in document):

I'd venture to claim that putting RED on a device with a few milliseconds
worth of buffer depth is pretty much useless (for instance the Cisco 6704
or 6724 linecards). So most datacenter equipment doesn't have this, or if
they do, it's not that usable even if they had (who cares about drop
probability when taildrop is being done at 4-5 ms buffer depth?).

For higher end platforms, for instance all cisco CPU based routers (for
some value of "all") can be configured with RED, fair-queue or similar,
but they come with FIFO as default. This has been the same way since at
least the mid 90ties as far as I know, long way back to cisco 1600 device
etc.

Higher end Cisco equipment such as ASR9k, 12000, CRS etc, all support
WRED, and here it makes sense since they all have ~50ms worth of buffering
or more. They also come with FIFO as default setting.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se