[Bloat] [iccrg] [aqm] AQM deployment status?

Scheffenegger, Richard rs at netapp.com
Fri Sep 27 09:53:21 EDT 2013

Hi Mikael,

the papers around DCTCP have probably the information you are looking for (map/reduce type workloads, leading to incast issues - momentary filling of queues; loosing the final segments of a TCP session [1], which is likely with drop tail queue management policy, is well known to result in timely retransmission timeout-type recoveries. Tweaking OS time granularities down to recover in few milliseconds on paths that usually have a few dozen microseconds delay is often not good enough, but even that is not for cautious.

Apparently, this is seen important and valuable enough to motivate the unilateral deployment of DCTCP with Windows 8 server, even though the modification in the switches is then still necessary.

Richard Scheffenegger

[1] Google has presented the liklihood of packet loss per segment vs. burst size; Figure 3 in this paper http://plus.url.google.com/url?sa=z&n=1380288903097&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.googleusercontent.com%2Fexternal_content%2Funtrusted_dlcp%2Fresearch.google.com%2Fen%2F%2Fpubs%2Farchive%2F41217.pdf&usg=lEiaJfELSWQoGNsDNsbQgbSO9RQ.