[Bloat] [iccrg] [aqm] AQM deployment status?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Sep 28 02:59:16 EDT 2013

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, Scheffenegger, Richard wrote:

> Hi Mikael,
>
> the papers around DCTCP have probably the information you are looking
> for (map/reduce type workloads, leading to incast issues - momentary
> filling of queues; loosing the final segments of a TCP session [1],
> which is likely with drop tail queue management policy, is well known to
> result in timely retransmission timeout-type recoveries. Tweaking OS
> time granularities down to recover in few milliseconds on paths that
> usually have a few dozen microseconds delay is often not good enough,
> but even that is not for cautious.

Ok, so this makes sense within a data center with ECN, but I fail to see
any substantial upside deploying this in an environment where RTT is in
the tens of ms because TCP won't have time to react.

I seem to remember reading about enhancement to TCP where packets are
actually sent out with spacing between packets instead of in line-rate
bursts. If everybody started doing that then I would imagine there would
be less tail-drop in large RTT environments with large TCP windows?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se