[Bloat] sigcomm wifi

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:07:00 EDT 2014

On 08/21/2014 09:57 PM, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> I'll stop preaching the Cisco gospel soon (well, e.g. Aruba would probably
> also do just the same thing :-) ), but in a WLC-based solution, there's a
> setting to just refuse the first few associations on 2.4 GHz if it detects
> the client is 5 GHz capable. It's a hack, but it pushes people over to 5 GHz
> quite effectively.

How does that work in the light of STA MAC address randomisation during
the scan stage? As I understand it, such STAs only use their "real" MAC
address for actually connecting to the AP, but hide their identity in
probe requests. So a dual-band AP can't rely on a STA's MAC address
being the same in both bands.