[Bloat] sigcomm wifi

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 21 15:57:35 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 12:49:02PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> One trick we pulled this year at Scale that I think made a big
> difference is that we labled the 2.4 GHz network "Scale-slow" and
> the 5GHz network "Scale", this seems to have pushed a LOT more
> people to using the less congested 5GHz band.

I'll stop preaching the Cisco gospel soon (well, e.g. Aruba would probably
also do just the same thing :-) ), but in a WLC-based solution, there's a
setting to just refuse the first few associations on 2.4 GHz if it detects
the client is 5 GHz capable. It's a hack, but it pushes people over to 5 GHz
quite effectively.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/