[Bloat] The Dark Problem with AQM in the Internet?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon Aug 25 14:09:50 EDT 2014

Note that I worked with Folkert Van Heusden to get some options added to
his httping program to allow "ping" style testing against any HTTP server
out there using HTTP/TCP.

See:

http://www.vanheusden.com/httping/

I find it slightly ironic that people are now concerned about ICMP ping no
longer returning queuing information given that when I started working on
bufferbloat, a number of people claimed that ICMP Ping could not be relied
upon to report reliable information, as it may be prioritized differently
by routers. This "urban legend" may or may not be true; I never observed it
in my explorations.

In any case, you all may find it useful, and my thanks to Folkert for a
very useful tool.

                                                   - Jim