[Bloat] AQM creeping into L2 equipment

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 13:17:03 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Steinar H. Gunderson
<sgunderson at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought some of you might be interested in a small observation I made
> today: Cisco 2960-X, their latest low-end (?) L2 access switch offering
> (well, it can do some L3 as well, especially the 2960-XR, but I don't think
> it's very commonly used), has WRED on its feature list. They also have

I would certainly like good documentation on how to configure it and
results with/without on a two ports into one test.

> something that looks like SFQ.

DRR was quite common until fairly recently.

> We ordered two a while back but haven't
> received them yet, so I haven't tested how well it works in practice.
>
> I guess this mirrors my desire since a few years back that _any_ congestion
> point in your network (and a switch that supports both 10gig and 1gig is a
> prime candidate for becoming a congestion point on downconversion...) should
> have some form of AQM.

+1

> Of course, it's no CoDel or PIE, but you take what you
> get...

I recently spent some time trying to make an edgerouter lite v.1.4.1
work with rate limiting and RED or SFQ. Neither did. (will fiddle some
more)

Turns out there is an openwrt build for that hw... given that the
cerowrt hardware peaks out at about 50mbit I'd really like to find
something that
got up to 200mbit+.