[Bloat] AQM creeping into L2 equipment

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Mar 20 12:20:15 EDT 2014

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> The standard test that I'm most interested in is the 2 ports into 1 topology:
>
> SOURCE
> SWITCH
>  |            |
> BOX1   BOX2

Did a couple of tests of this with the default configuration of a Cisco
WS-C2960X-24TD-L switch. Graphs and data files here:

http://kau.toke.dk/experiments/cisco-switch/cisco-c2960x.html

Conclusion: My test boxes need offloads and quite a bit of driver
queueing to drive the 1Gbps link, which makes it difficult to say
anything about the switch...

Haven't fiddled with the QoS settings, but from what I can see they are
rather limited, and takes a great deal of fiddling to setup (at least
for someone who, like me, has pretty much zero experience with Cisco
gear).

If someone has suggestions for other switch configurations that would be
worthwhile testing (as well as some help on how to configure it), I'll
be happy to run the tests.

-Toke