[Bloat] AQM creeping into L2 equipment / 10G not-for-profit playground at tetaneutral.net

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Thu Mar 20 14:16:16 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-18 at 14:54 -0400, Dave Taht wrote:

> >> I would certainly like good documentation on how to configure it and
> >> results with/without on a two ports into one test.
> >
> > Thus saith google: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/qos/configuration_guide/b_qos_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_qos_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html
>

> The standard test that I'm most interested in is the 2 ports into 1 topology:
>
> SOURCE
> SWITCH
>  |            |
> BOX1   BOX2
>
> and finding "optimal" settings for that.
>
> All links are gigE for this... each box runs a copy of the rrul test
> (attempting to saturate up/down and measure loss/delay on several
> differently classified measurement flows), with various switch
> configurations (wred, srr, wtd, whatever)
>
> can add in a delay box.
>
> Donations/loans of various cool switches gladly accepted. :)
>
> A topology with a 10Gige source is also interesting. There have been
> so many improvements to linux tcp that it's hard to intuit behaviors
> since when we started the debloating effort.

Hi Dave,

Our not-for-profit AS197422 http://tetaneutral.net based in Toulouse,
France, will get leased (for free) two 48 10G port switch Force10 S4810P
and in a few weeks we'll get a 10G Cogent uplink (able to pay 1-3 Gbps
5mn 95 percentile so burst to/from internet should stay short :).

We're looking for 10G PCIe cards for Debian GNU/Linux boxes (haswell
class CPU) advice.

We have an Ubiquity edge router lite siting around, we'll probably get a
Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+ too.

We have also about 300 ubiquity 5GHz antennas and 200+ subscribers
with fiber uplink, and about 50 servers hosted + same number of virtual
machines.

As our not-for-profit name "tetaNEUTRAL.NET" indcates we want to be
fair in bandwidth use by our users but without looking at protocols so
respecting network neutrality principles. fairness has to be defined of
course, can be period of time / volume based, we've played with IP based
tc classifiers for a while.

And of course we'll be very happy to give access to that stuff to
the "Bloat" croad, don't forget to ping us in one month or
so if I forget about our offer :).

Sincerely,

Laurent