[Bloat] AQM creeping into L2 equipment

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Mar 24 19:16:45 EDT 2014

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

>> (question to list) Are there any options to tcpdump or the kernel to
>> make it more possible to capture full packet payloads (64k) without
>> loss at these speeds? tshark?
>
> You can capture tens of gigabits of traffic if you use the mmap packet ring
> stuff. Doubt tcpdump supports it, but it wouldn't be impossible to do.
>
> I'm a bit confused if a normal machine these days can't easily saturate
> gigabit (and capture it to SSD without further problems), though.

I've been able to capture gigabit traffic with fairly normal CPUs (<3GHz), the
key I found was to bypass all tcpdump processing at capture time, just write the
raw packets out. I had a disk array on a medium quality FC card for this, but
did the same thing with a 3ware 955x RAID card and a handful of SATA drives.

David Lang