[Bloat] I feel an urge to update this

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Sep 25 04:08:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, David Lang wrote:

> well, even if you have a 10GE connection, you don't know how heavily
> it's going to be used.

No, but I will have a hunch. I don't need to *know*, I need to have a
decent probability of being right.

> what happens if the wrong hint is given? (either accidently or maliciously)

Then you get IW10 instead of IW4. Right now if I am correct, Google does
IW10 all across the board.

> The approach of starting slow and ramping up works well, except in the
> case where you have lots of very short connections. So I don't see a
> benefit of trying to hint slowness. There may be some value in hinting
> for faster ramp-ups, but what will that do to fairness with existing
> systems?

In my world, core network congestion isn't something that is permanent and
continous, but an anomaly. So since the only port that should be
congesting is my access port, I don't care about fairness. Also, we're not
talking about starting off with a 1M TCP window to blast a huge chunk of
data down the wire, we're talking about perhaps being a bit more agressive
in increasing the window from a slightly higher initial level, let's say
IW10 and instead of doubling, tripling window size, if the client hints
they have a fast connection, and if the client says they have a slow
connection, IW4 and increase 1.5x instead?

Use same mechanisms as today, but tweak them to be a bit more or less
agressive depending on what the client has hinted.

I mean, why do we send MSS in TCP? Couldn't we just have a generic probing
mechanism to test what MTU works? Well, that would be inefficient, so MSS
helps. Same here.

> But we have a number of companies who want to have things downloaded and
> used as quickly as possible, so if this sort of thing really does help,
> then I would expect that they would be experimenting with tweaking the
> TCP stack to ramp up faster (although, you would also be expecting
> outcrys about "how dare $bigcompany ignore the TCP defaults and be more
> agressive, that doesn't compete fairly with $normaltraffic)

Errr, google and IW10? So, already done!?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se