[Bloat] I feel an urge to update this

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Sep 25 07:00:34 EDT 2014

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, David Lang wrote:
>
>> well, even if you have a 10GE connection, you don't know how heavily it's
>> going to be used.
>
> No, but I will have a hunch. I don't need to *know*, I need to have a decent
> probability of being right.
>
>> what happens if the wrong hint is given? (either accidently or maliciously)
>
> Then you get IW10 instead of IW4. Right now if I am correct, Google does IW10
> all across the board.

What is the problem with making this assumption? Why should we try to change
every device on the Internet to provide this information instead of just using
this as the default?

>> The approach of starting slow and ramping up works well, except in the case
>> where you have lots of very short connections. So I don't see a benefit of
>> trying to hint slowness. There may be some value in hinting for faster
>> ramp-ups, but what will that do to fairness with existing systems?
>
> In my world, core network congestion isn't something that is permanent and
> continous, but an anomaly. So since the only port that should be congesting
> is my access port, I don't care about fairness.

Well, you are asking for the entire Internet to be changed, so your proposal
needs to account for the rest of the Internet outside of your world. And there
we do have to worry about fairness.

David Lang