[Bloat] Computer generated congestion control

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sat Apr 4 19:33:30 EDT 2015

> 1) The core flaw in the work was that they targeted really long RTTs
> (>100ms) where here we are working in a range of RTTs, mostly shorter.

Yeah.  They were doing experiments with LTE, which has pretty horrendous
latency.  (As in driving around Cambridge with an LTE modem and collecting
packet traces.)

(Dave -- they were doing *experiments*.  Networking academics doing actual
experiments, imagine that.)

> I would have been much happier had the work continued (has it?)

Keith got a position (no suprise there, he's very good), so he's very busy
with teaching and setting up his research team.  But I see he's published
a related paper at SIGCOMM last year:

    Anirudh Sivaraman, Keith Winstein, Pratiksha Thaker, Hari Balakrishnan.
    An experimental study of the learnability of congestion control.
    SIGCOMM 2014:479-490
    http://dspace.mit.edu/openaccess-disseminate/1721.1/88914

-- Juliusz