[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

jb justin at dslr.net
Tue Apr 21 06:35:21 EDT 2015

As I understand it (I thought) SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF are socket buffers
for the application layer, they do not change the TCP window size either
send or receive. Which is perhaps why they aren't used much. They don't do
much good in iperf that's for sure! Might be wrong, but I agree with the
premise - auto-tuning should work.

Regarding my own equipment, I've seen a 2012 topic about the Billion 7800N
I have, complaining it has buffer bloat. The replies to the topic suggested
using QOS to get round the problem of uploading blowing up the latency sky
high. Unfortunately it is a very popular and well regarded DSL modem at
least in Australia AND cannot be flashed with dd-wrt or anything. So I
think for me personally (and for people who use our speed test and complain
about very choppy results on upload), this is the explanation I'll be
giving: experiment with your gear at home, it'll be the problem.

Currently the servers are running at a low maximum receive window. I'll be
switching them back in a day, after I let this one guy witness the
improvement it make for his connection. He has been at me for days saying
the test has an issue because the upload on his bonded 5mbit+5mbit channel
is so choppy.

thanks