[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 22 00:04:54 EDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 08:35:21PM +1000, jb wrote:
> As I understand it (I thought) SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF are socket buffers
> for the application layer, they do not change the TCP window size either
> send or receive.

I haven't gone into the code and checked, but from practical experience I
think you're wrong. I've certainly seen positive effects (and verified with
tcpdump) from reducing SO_SNDBUF on a server that should have no problems at
all sending data really fast to the kernel.

Then again, this kind of manual tuning trickery got obsolete for me the
moment sch_fq became available.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/