[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Pedro Tumusok pedro.tumusok at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 09:49:24 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:58 AM, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We had/have a lot of this problem in netperf-wrapper - a lot of data
> > tends to accumulate at the end of the test(s) and pollute the last few
> > data points in bloated scenarios. You have to wait for the queues to
> > drain to get a "clean" test - although this begins to show what
> > actually happen when the link is buried in both directions.
> >
> > Is there any chance to add a simultaneous up+down+ping test at the
> conclusion?
>
> This confuses the "speed test" notion of this site. Since the flow of
> ack's can eat up 25% of the bandwidth of a slow, asymmetric link, I am
> concerend that people would wonder why their upload bandwidth suddenly went
> down dramatically...
>
> Given that other speed test sites only show upload/download, I would vote
> to keep that format here. Perhaps there could be an
> option/preference/setting to do up/down/ping .

But isn't the point to have the best/relevant speed test in the business,
how can you innovate or do something new, if you make sure you do not
deviate to much from the competition?

Most users would likes the new gadget shiny feeling, so if the test does
the normal down and then up. And tells you those numbers are the ideal
numbers you can get. But in reality this is the closer to the service you
are actually getting for your money, then do the down/up+ping test.

As for ms thresholds, my $0.02 thinks that there should be some "real
world" correlation.  Most people know how long 1 second is, but have no
idea how it impacts stuff. Especially since most people think 1 second is
very quick and most likely negligible. Showing milliseconds, probably does
not ring a bell to most people.

So putting in pointers like, at this latency (bufferbloat induced or not)
VoIP will not work anymore and at this latency online gaming means you have
to be psychic to win and at this next level, you probably should think
about making a cup of coffee while you wait for your favorite webpage
display.

Pedro