[Bloat] bufferbloat effects on throughput

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Apr 27 08:13:23 EDT 2015

Paolo Valente <paolo.valente at unimore.it> writes:

> Thanks. So, if I understood correctly, average throughput may or may
> not be affected, but large throughput fluctuations will always occur
> in the presence of bufferbloat.

I'm always wary of saying 'always', but I'd hazard an 'often' ;)

> Sorry for my usual refrain, but … any pointers to tests, results,
> papers and the like?

Hmm, not sure if there's any papers dealing specifically with this.
However, it's quite easy to provoke this behaviour. Compare, for
instance,

 http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/rrul-pfifo_fast-all_scaled.pdf

with

 http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/rrul-fq_codel-all_scaled.pdf

The two top graphs on each are throughput (download and upload
respectively).

For the aggregate behaviour, I had some data on that in my presentation
at the IETF in Hawaii:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/91/slides/slides-91-iccrg-4.pdf

-Toke