[Bloat] bufferbloat effects on throughput

Paolo Valente paolo.valente at unimore.it
Mon Apr 27 08:45:08 EDT 2015

Il giorno 27/apr/2015, alle ore 14:13, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> ha scritto:

> Paolo Valente <paolo.valente at unimore.it> writes:
>
>> Thanks. So, if I understood correctly, average throughput may or may
>> not be affected, but large throughput fluctuations will always occur
>> in the presence of bufferbloat.
>
> I'm always wary of saying 'always', but I'd hazard an 'often' ;)
>
>> Sorry for my usual refrain, but … any pointers to tests, results,
>> papers and the like?
>
> Hmm, not sure if there's any papers dealing specifically with this.
> However, it's quite easy to provoke this behaviour. Compare, for
> instance,
>
> http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/rrul-pfifo_fast-all_scaled.pdf
>
> with
>
> http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/rrul-fq_codel-all_scaled.pdf
>
> The two top graphs on each are throughput (download and upload
> respectively).

Thanks. The results shown in your graphs seem unmistakable …

One question: how can one be sure (if it is possible) that the fluctuation of the throughput of a TCP flow on a given node is caused by bufferbloat issues in the node, and not by other factors (such as, e.g., systematic drops in some other nodes along the path followed by the flow, with the drops possibly even caused by different reasons than bufferbloat)?

Thanks,
Paolo

--
Paolo Valente