[Bloat] some 110Mbit cable testing of the new dslreports stuff

jb justin at dslr.net
Tue Apr 28 02:59:27 EDT 2015

The display of the latency during the test are purely from the
view of the browser doing what should be instant web socket pings.

Now if you guys tell me that by inspection of the traffic the browser
has no excuse, it should not be getting its pings back late, and/or you
just run an icmp ping to dslreports.com during the download phase and
it also shows that there is no delay, then I would not be surprised.

(although the reported delays during upload that I see at least are
completely real because I am typing over SSH when the delays spike
and it is 1:1).

So anyway if you have reason to believe the browser is getting into
trouble juggling its web socket and the downloads at the same time,
I will change the test to run the web socket ping in a web worker.

A web worker is another complete interpreter, with its own thread
and is supposed to be able to do work in parallel with the main
page of scripts. Although who knows what happens lower down
the stack. I'm happy to try this, if there is a suspicious that the main
ping must be getting perturbed by handling the downloads.

Also to those using Firefox on Linux, there is strong evidence that
the noscript extension is causing massive performance problems on
that combination of OS+Browser.

Basically 50% of Firefox on Linux tests get constant stalling but no
Chrome on Linux tests do. 50% might be the population of users
who use noscript with Linux, it is a popular extension. At least
one user makes all their performance issues go away be disabling
noscript and they all come back by re-enabling noscript so I definitely
want to dig into this more.

thanks