[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Kathleen Nichols nichols at pollere.com
Tue Feb 24 17:39:27 EST 2015

Good, point. I like to think of the original RED as more 1) noting that all
those full buffers weren't doing anyone any good and 2) noting that one
could perhaps be aware of creeping congestion and "gently" prevent it.

Those two items are still important it's just that making 2) work has more
"ahas" in it than was apparent at first blush. I think it is good for us as
a community to figure out what doesn't work and what directions we should
explore.

For example, as has been mentioned, creating better mixes of traffic shows
the issues of acks mixed with data real fast. Separate queues fixes those
issues very nicely. But we have to be standing on a stepping stone along the
path to see this stuff.

	Kathie