[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Feb 26 05:45:57 EST 2015

Hi Mikael,

On Feb 26, 2015, at 11:39 , Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, MUSCARIELLO Luca IMT/OLN wrote:
>
>> I wonder when we'll have software routers in residential networks to innovate a little faster than what happens today just like how already happens in some data centers.
>
> Well, it would help if operators tried to buy CPEs taht were not only bare-minimum for what they need today.

	What is quite ironic is that many operators now switched to charge rental fees for their under-powered, and not timely upgraded devices, rent that could easily be used to purchase far more capable devices (that would actually justify the rental fee).

> Right now I hear more about "virtualised CPE" to save cost (ie move part of the CPE implementation to the data center) than to spend more money on features in the CPE.

	Well, the ingress traffic shaping definitely should be virtualized upstream of the actual CPE!

> My hope is still on the mobile phone SoCs trickling down to the home gateway space so we get more CPU power there at decent price point.

	But do we know whether mobile phone SOCs actually make good routers?

Best Regards
	Sebastian