[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 26 13:59:19 EST 2015

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Dave Taht wrote:

> First, everyone saying that fq_codel can't be done in hardware is
> *wrong* See my last point far below, I know I write over-long emails...

What do you define as "hardware"?

> YES, at the lowest level of the hardware, where packets turn into light
> or fuzzy electrons, or need to be tied up in a an aggregate (as in
> cable) and shipped onto the wire, you can't do it. BUT, as BQL has

I am talking about doing this in the NPUs that are available on the
market today and in the future.

We're talking about these kinds of devices:

http://www.tilera.com/News/PressRelease/?ezchip=97

I'm afraid that your experience with CPU driven devices isn't a great
match here, and we're talking past each other.

I would love to be able to use my employers purchasing power to drive
demand on AQM, but I need to know what the requirements are, and that
they're feasable to do, preferrably with an engineering effort for the
vendor in the range of few man years. I can't produce this document
myself, I have already tried pointing them in the direction of
presentations etc, but I need "hard" documents, outlining exactly what
they need to do.

Do we have this currently? In that case, whereto should I point them?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se