[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) versteb at cisco.com
Thu Feb 26 14:44:50 EST 2015

Guys-

If you want to drive AQM requirements into router/switch specification, count me in. We need to be careful to specify behaviors, as opposed to implementations. If we start to specify implementation details, the process will get bogged down in intractable differences. There is a lot of variability in what the existing hardware/software queueing components do, and we need to allow some leeway to "do the right thing" on the various platforms.

Given a good set of requirements, the community can both 1) work on next generation chipset/software/firmware/memory/board/architecture  that do AQM in an optimum manner and 2) make (hopefully simple and well-bounded) changes to the existing software/firmware.

Bvs