[Bloat] requirements for buffer management ---- was RE: RED against bufferbloat

Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) versteb at cisco.com
Thu Feb 26 16:02:17 EST 2015

Jonathon-

I think you meant to say “method/algorithm for limiting the depth of a given queue” rather than “CoDel”. 8-).

As we have been discussing, driving the queue management implementation towards a given specific algorithm is fraught with danger. For instance, some deployment models simply can’t do work at de-queue time. Specifying a specific algorithm that does work at de-queue time will be counterproductive.

Other than that nit, I think your statement is on track…… I would add in a classifier to get packets into the correct QOS bucket, and perhaps a few additional modules. In some deployments, one or more of those modules may be NULL – but that is also OK. As long as the model is general enough to handle the various permutations, we should be OK.

Bill VerSteeg