[Bloat] Packet loss in FCC press release

Eggert, Lars lars at netapp.com
Fri Feb 27 05:49:23 EST 2015

Hi,

did anyone notice the second sentence in paragraph below from the FCC's press release at http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0226/DOC-332260A1.pdf:

> In addition to the existing transparency rule, which was not struck down by the court, the Order requires that broadband providers disclose, in a consistent format, promotional rates, fees and surcharges and data caps. Disclosures must also include packet loss as a measure of network performance, and provide notice of network management practices that can affect service.

"Packet loss as a measure of network performance" being the only such measure explicitly called out doesn't leave me with the warm fuzzy feeling that the folks the factors affecting QoE over IP networks. ISPs are being incentivized to optimize for reduced packet loss, and we know how that goes.

Lars