[Bloat] Packet loss in FCC press release

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:35:10 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not ideal, but I'm not quite as worried about that as you might be.
> There are several potential causes of packet loss in a network, and
> increasing buffer sizes is only likely to have a minor and temporary effect
> on one of them.

Clearly establishing that 0 packet loss (without ECN) is bad, that
some range of rates of packet loss relative to
bandwidth is GOOD, and levels above that indicative of a problem,
would nice. I can envision a meter
designed to show that.

> Meanwhile, increased deployment of ECN would permit adding AQM as a means to
> decrease packet loss.
>
> Random packet loss due to poor quality lines, and also due to dumb policers
> and overloaded core routers, is probably what's intended here.
>
> - Jonathan Morton

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb