[Bloat] the cisco pie patent and IETF IPR filing

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 01:07:43 EST 2015

Two items:

A) The IETF IPR filing   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2187/ points
to the wrong patent: 13/874,500. A google search for that patent
number brings up http://www.google.com/patents/US20130239255"

 It is ironically relevant to the discussions at hand, as that one concerns:

Abstract:

"Provided are methods of increasing the tolerance of a plant to
abiotic stresses and/or increasing the biomass and/or increasing the
yield of a plant by expressing within the plant an exogenous
polynucleotide homologous to SEQ ID NO:13."

... As I consider myself a near-vegetable, and am 40 pounds heavier,
and not responding particularly well to antibiotics, after
participating for the past several years on all the ietf mailing lists
I just got off of. I am sure that upon acceptance of pie in the ietf,
that making that particular patent more generally available for all to
use would probably have similar effects on others.

The correct patent number for PIE, 13/874,600, is here:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140328175

I would appreciate that the IPR filing be corrected.

In the meantime, here's some more great NSFW george carlin routines!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlkxrNlp10

B) Vishal Misra (author of PI) gave me pointers to his PI papers
recently (and he had NO idea at all his work was used for pie! - he
got his marketing department to issue a press release about it:
http://engineering.umass.edu/news/got-bufferbloat-umass-amherst-research-behind-fix
)

I usually have a pretty strict policy about never reading patents, but
I read all those papers [1], and both! patents above. I had not fully
realized that the PI-AQM work went as far back as 2001. The PI update
equation and the PIE update equation, look pretty darn similar, just
the meanings of two variables, changed.

C) I am kind of curious if any working code for the original PI
algorithm exists for linux?

D) oh, never mind, I will blog about the rest one day.

[1] still prefer fq_codel.

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb