[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] DOCSIS 3+ recommendation?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:11:11 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 6:53 AM,  <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:
> How many years has it been since Comcast said they were going to fix bufferbloat in their network within a year?

It is unfair to lump every individual in an organization together. All
orgs have people trying to do the right thing(s), and sometimes,
eventually, they win. All that is required for evil to triumph is for
good people to do nothing, and docsis 3.1 is entering trials. Some
competition still exists there for both modems (8? providers?) and
CMTSes (3). My hope is that if we can continue to poke at it,
eventually a better modem and cmts setup will emerge, from someone.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/sig.html

Or one of the CMTS vendors will ship something that works better,
although the ARRIS study had many flaws (LRED was lousy, their SFQ
enhancement quite interesting):

preso: http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/trimfat/Cloonan_Presentation.pdf
paper: http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/trimfat/Cloonan_Paper.pdf

I have of the cynical view that it does help to have knowledgeable
people such as yourself rattling the cages, and certainly I was
pleased with the results of my recent explosion at virgin - 2000+ hits
on the web site! 150 +1s! So I do plan to start blogging again
(everyone tired of my long emails? wait til you see the blog!)

> And LTE operators haven't even started.

And we haven't worked our magic on them, nor conducted sufficient
research on how they could get it more right. That said, there has
been progress in that area as well, and certainly quite a few papers
demonstrating their problems.

> THat's a sign that the two dominant sectors of "Internet Access" business are refusing to support quality Internet service. (the old saying about monopoly AT&T: "we don't care. we don't have to." applies to these sectors).
>
> Have fun avoiding bufferbloat in places where there is no "home router" you can put fq_codel into.

Given the game theory here, this is why my own largest bet has been on
trying to resuscitate the home router and small business firewall
markets.

covering bets are on at least some ISPs (maybe not in the US) getting
it right, on regulation, etc.

Forces I am actively working against include the plans juniper and
cisco are pimping for moving ISP cpe into the cloud.

> It's almost as if the cable companies don't want OTT video or simultaneous FTP and interactive gaming to work. Of course not. They'd never do that.

I do understand there are strong forces against us, especially in the USA.

I ended up writing a MUCH longer blog entry for this, I do hope I get
around to getting that site up.

> On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:50pm, "Jonathan Morton" <chromatix99 at gmail.com> said:

>> Right, so until 3.1 modems actually become available, it's probably best to
>> stick with a modem that already supports your subscribed speed, and manage
>> the bloat separately with shaping and AQM.
>>
>> - Jonathan Morton

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb