[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] marketing #102 - giving netperf-wrapper a better name?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Mar 20 20:19:45 EDT 2015

Drag is an fluid dynamic term that suggests a meaning close to this... flow rate dependent friction.

But what you really want to suggest is a flow rate dependent *delay* that people are familiar with quantifying.

Fq_codel limits the delay as flow rate increases and is fair.

The max buffer limits delay due to Little's lemma also.

The actual delay limit in practice is what one measures in most cases. Codel is just softer than the hard limit of a small buffer.

So there are two qualitative measures - delay limit in units of milliseconds and softness or stiffness in units of milliseconds per queue depth I'd guess. Softness gives the recovery rate after a burst.

You should divide delay limit by elephant packet size in milliseconds. Based on channel rate.

I'd think the scaled delay limit should

-- Sent with K-@ Mail - the evolution of emailing.