[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] better business bufferbloat monitoring tools?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed May 13 11:30:40 EDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) <versteb at cisco.com
> wrote:

> Time scales are important. Any time you use TCP to send a moderately large
> file, you drive the link into congestion. Sometimes this is for a few
> milliseconds per hour and sometimes this is for 10s of minutes per hour.
>
> For instance, watching a 3 Mbps video (Netflix/YouTube/whatever) on a 4
> Mbps link with no cross traffic can cause significant bloat, particularly
> on older tail drop middleboxes.  The host code does an HTTP get every N
> seconds, and drives the link as hard as it can until it gets the video
> chunk. It waits a second or two and then does it again. Rinse and Repeat.
> You end up with a very characteristic delay plot. The bloat starts at 0,
> builds until the middlebox provides congestion feedback, then sawtooths
> around at about the buffer size. When the burst ends, the middlebox burns
> down its buffer and bloat goes back to zero. Wait a second or two and do it
> again.

​It's time to do some packet traces to see what the video providers are
doing.  In YouTube's case, I believe the traffic is using the new sched_fq
qdisc, which does packet pacing; but exactly how this plays out by the time
packets reach the home isn't entirely clear to me. Other video
providers/CDN's may/may not have started generating clues.

Also note that so far, no one is trying to pace the IW transmission at all.
​

> You can't fix this by adding bandwidth to the link. The endpoint's TCP
> sessions will simply ramp up to fill the link. You will shorten the
> congested phase of the cycle, but TCP will ALWAYS FILL THE LINK (given
> enough time to ramp up)

​That has been the behavior in the past, but it's no longer safe to
presume​ we should tar everyone with the same brush, rather, we should do a
bit of science, and then try to hold people's feet to the fire that do not
"play nice" with the network.

​Some packet captures in the home can easily sort this out.

Jim

​