[Bloat] dslreports mockup

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Thu May 21 17:46:01 EDT 2015

> On 21 May 2015, at 15:23, Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>
> Providing separate grades for upload and download does not make sense to me, as interference with acks in the other direction badly hurts that traffic. Uploads and downloads are *not* independent variables.
>
> KISS: one grade....
>                   - Jim

As a dumb user I agree with the one overall grade result. As a slightly less dumb user seeing up & down graphs is useful for tuning bandwidth limits, or I found it so at least. It's suddenly struck me as odd that a test section & graph for simultaneous up & down streams isn't included, presumably it would also be the basis for the one grade overall badge result. I guess that's feedback to dslreports if they're not already listening here.

Agree with Rich's comments re: background colours following scaling as a further pointer to bad/better/good on up/down latency differences.

Kevin

PS: As an aside I don't know if my comments/thoughts are helpful on this list or not.  I know there are a lot of extremely experienced & clever people here who've been battling this problem for a long time and I fear 'stupid' questions will just try people's patience.  If my dumb user observations aren't helpful please tell me to shut up!