[Bloat] dslreports mockup

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:33:36 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:00 AM, jb <justin at dslr.net> wrote:
> Well the dual Y-Axis thing didn't work.
> It would require removal of the color bands and looked confusing.

k.

> So I've done a drill-down thing instead. You get just three bars, then can
> drill into each by clicking, to see an expansion against its own Y-Axis.
> Hard to explain, easier to see:
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/525965

1) It shows "series 2" for the drill downs rather than upload/download/idle.

2) I am not big on averages, period. showing min/median/max on the bar chart
is more satisfying to me, (see relevant netperf-wrapper plottype), but I know
that too is confusing to users.

Saying "average bloat" is sort of like saying this drug only kills 2%
of people on average - it might be accurate statistically (except for
missing a long term trendline and not coping with different RTTs
well), but it does tend to matter to those it kills.

I know tons of people like plain old bar charts, but...

3) I like how this drilldown and the previous detailed graphs shows
the queues building over the course of the test. This lends intuition
to the problem (and shows the trendline in particular)

Perhaps something that would be interesting would be for the drill
down to instead
swap between graphs over an interval (every few seconds), then stop on the
worst one after 20 seconds....

going back to the first screen of the test actually running:

4) The radar ping plot is boring after the test starts, and on a small
laptop the bufferbloat
"tach" is invisible. I would remove the radar ping plot after the test
starts and stick the
bloat tach there instead.

Aint I demanding?

5) (this is still marvellous work and deepest gratitude, and so on,
and thanks for playing with us)

6) we are so losing on inbound at the moment.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/529300

7) I hope to add some tests to the finally renamed flent (formerly
netperf-wrapper) that will more closely duplicate your tests. In
particular, I want to add support for many different remote servers to
all the basic tests. You have clearly pointed out that we need to
tackle that,  and see items 5, and 6...

Are you settled on 16/6 for the basic "cable" test, in particular?

> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> > On 22 May, 2015, at 03:17, jb <justin at dslr.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Or I can just have two Y-Axis with auto-scaling on both.
>>
>> You could also try a square-root scale (as opposed to linear or
>> logarithmic).  This should help with comparing data with different orders of
>> magnitude, without flattening things as aggressively as a log scale.
>>
>> But perhaps we should see what it looks like before committing to it.
>>
>>  - Jonathan Morton

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67