[Bloat] Bufferbloat test measurements (was: Open Source Speed Test)

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 07:46:01 EDT 2016

It has always been my intent to define bufferbloat as *latency*. The first sentence on www.bufferbloat.net says, "Bufferbloat is the undesirable latency that comes from a router or other network equipment buffering too much data."

That definition focuses on observable/measurable values. It sidesteps objections I've seen on the forums, "How could $TEST measure the size of buffers?"

So what matters is whether the buffers (of any size) are filling up.